I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.
Psalm 57:9-11 (NIV)

Monday, April 15, 2013

The Green and Gray Days

I love rainy spring days because the newly budded green leaves look so vibrant against the stormy gray skies.  It's a special beauty that could so easily be missed if you're looking only for crystal blue skies and dogwood blossoms.  Some wish away days like today, dismissing them for the impending rain or perceived dreariness... but I savor these days:  the cool breeze, the pitter-patter of rain drops, and my favorite part, the green and gray.

So, in honor of this beautiful, rainy, spring day, I thought I'd share with you my top five favorite classical tunes.  You'll hear the sweet, somber notes of the cello (my absolute favorite instrument) take the spotlight in many of these tunes... simply love.  These pieces are my favorites so of course I'm biased, but I think they provide the perfect soundtrack for this lovely, peaceful day... maybe with the exception of Tchaikovsky, who is a long-time favorite composer after growing up immersed in the ballet world but perhaps a little energetic for today's mood... however, I couldn't put together a top five and leave out Tchaikovsky.  I hope you'll enjoy these beautiful songs as you soak up some of this rainy-day-goodness.

1.)  "Le Cygne" from Le Carnaval des Animaux, composed by Camille Saint-Saëns

2.) "Gabriel's Oboe" performed by Yo-Yo Ma, composed by Ennio Morricone, The Mission 
(The "Sergio Leone Suite" gets honorable mention for my Ennio Morricone pick!) 

3.) "Always Summer" from Brideshead Revisited (2008), composed by Adrian Johnston

4.) "Butterfly's Day Out," performed by Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Mark O'Connor, composed by Mark O'Connor

5.)  "The Garland Waltz" from The Sleeping Beauty, composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

No comments:

Post a Comment